Monday, January 10, 2011

The Start

Portrait of an Addiction/Collection

A Minimate a day for 2011

This is going to be one of those 365 pictures over the course of the year kind of projects that I like and dislike all in the same breath…I don’t know why I feel that way and have thought a lot about it before starting this project but have not come to any conclusion aside from that I like/dislike the concept.

My first minimate was Gene Simmons from KISS, a gift from my wife for Christmas 2002. We had saw the KISS and Star Trek minimates in Wal-Mart and thought the 3 inch blocky little figures were neat looking. My being a KISS fan, my wife thought the Gene minimate was a great gift.

Flash forward a year and the company making minimates, Art Asylum, was again making a show at the toy aisle in Wal-Mart but this time they are in 2 packs, have dropped in size to 2 inches and are based on Marvel comic book characters. Well actually, while writing this I can recall seeing the Marvel minimates first in single packs while grocery shopping at Safeway. Again I thought they were pretty neat looking but had stopped collecting toys at this time. The smaller scale was very appealing and for Christmas in 2003 my wife surprised me with the Hulk/Bruce Banner 2 pack. It was the start of the addiction!

A lot has changed since that first 2 pack but here we are in 2011 and my minimate collection is still going strong. This project/blog will showcase one new, or at least new to me, minimate for everyday of this year. While they may not be posted daily, due to my already busy life, there will be individual posts for each day…it just might be that updates happen with several days going up all at once. To add a bit more than just a picture I will also have a little write up each day too…just my thoughts on the picture nothing too mind blowing…maybe lol. Thanks for joining me on this journey and I hope you all enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment